Sunday, April 22, 2012

Volcanoes National Park & Punalu'u Black Sand Beach

Everyone except Elyse had been to Volcanoes National Park, Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa last spring when they were on their Hawaiian Island Cruise; and Scott and I in 2005. We all wanted to go back again this year, there was a few things that we wanted to show everyone, mostly where the lava flowed over the road at the end of Chain of Craters Road and the Petroglyphs.
We started our visit in the park by visiting the Visitors Center then checking out the Thurston Lava tube. We then headed out to the end of Chain of Craters Road. This is where we saw the sea arch, some how Scott and I missed it last time we were there. 
The wind was crazy!!! poor Elyse got blown over a couple of times on our walk out to where the lava flowed over the road. It was extreme "picnic-ing" for lunch, trying to keep the food on our plates and the plates on the table ;)
After our picnic lunch we did a short hike out to the petroglyphs, very cool to see. Thank goodness the wind was blowing, it kept us cool.
Our last stop in the park was to check out the steaming crater and the Jaggar Museum.
The sea arch that Scott and I somehow missed last time we visited
The walk in the wind out to where the lava covered the road
Elyse getting a ride



Papa showing Elyse the pretty flowers


Last time Scott and I visited the Big Island, we hiked down to the bottom of Waipio Valley to check out the black sand beach. I was doing some reading, and found a black sand beach with really easy access. We stopped by Punalu'u beach on our way back to the condo after our day at Volcanoes.
Turtles sunning themselves on the black sand

No comments: